Monday, 13 July 2009

Weekend Wrap-Up

This is a rather long post so go ahead and make yourself a cup of tea, sit back and relax while I regale you with my weekend adventures. Go on. I can wait...

The 'weekend' really started on Thursday night, when I caught up with my friend Jodi, and it was fantastic to see her again. I forgot how much I love her company. I just wished she didn't live so far away.

After a small amount of retail therapy (if by 'retail therapy' you mean a trip to Target and a sporting goods store and a necessary pitstop at the chemist), we had sushi for dinner because sushi isn't a thing you can get in Tamworth apparently. The luddites. We then went to see 'The Hangover'. I had no expectations about it, but I found it to be inordinately entertaining. Full of boy-humour (as in, there was alcohol and roofies, vomit, dancing girls, and fatboy jokes), it was a little distasteful and really funny!

Jodi drove me home in her work car and popped in to borrow some books. My Urban Fantasy shelf doesn't look as impressive as it used to. It's amazing the difference half a dozen books can make but it will be worth it if I can create a convert to the genre. Mwahahahaha.

Friday night was a quick trip to Galaxy before the farewell for KatieMay. I have come to the swift conclusion it is impossible for me to enter a bookstore and come away empty handed. My pocketbook and sanity is much better served, therefore, by me not stepping into a bookstore for a while. Well, until the next release of an author I like anyway!

At KatieMay's Bon Voyage at the Arthouse, there was loads of good times. A lass there fitted in with the crowd seemlessly, even though she had never met any of us before - she was there with Nicole, a friend of KatieMay's. She was a cool chick. I reckon I could easily hang out with Jessica again. And chatting with Micah was cool too. It was nice to connect with new people. I also tried some Verve Cliquot and Bollinger. I now understand the fuss. I think I preferred the Verve of the two, though. Not that I'm going to go out and buy a bottle anytime soon you understand.

Saturday there was some sleeping but nowhere near as much as some! There was also washing, but I won't bore you with details.

Saturday night was dins with Honeydeath and Autumnheart and then Honeydeath and I went to see TBE at the Enmore. They went off. My throat is still raw from singing (read: screaming) along and my neck is still a bit tender from bopping my head in time with the music. (It wasn't head-banging, really. No, really. Head-banging has such nasty connotations. Head bopping is so much more dainty and genteel-like. Snort!) I am feeling fresh love for them right now. Below is a clip of 'Beautiful Mine' that someone took at the gig. I think it was the Cute Guy that was standing in front of Honeydeath and myself. It's not great quality, but it's a reminder of a truly beautiful version of that song.



The crowd were more subdued than I'm used to. Maybe there was more moshing closer to the front, but I couldn't see it. There was a Cute Couple we were chatting to while we were there. Cute as in young and wee and smiley and excited. Cute Guy, as mentioned above and one half of the Cute Couple, promised me he'd post his capture of 'Beautiful Mine', after I informed him he had to send it to me, so I'm guessing it's his clip. I sincerly hope that at no stage can you hear my excremental 'singing' in the background.

Honeydeath and I amused the Cute Couple greatly by singing along to TBE's cover of 'Reckless', originally recorded by Australian Crawl because TBE are, and I quote, 'patriotic bastards'. The Cute couple had never heard the song before. It was a sobering thought to know that they probably weren't born when that song was first released. *sigh*

The four of us laughed derisively at the couple who were right in front. Honestly, who goes to a rock concert and eats sushi? We were waiting for them to try to order a skim soy echi-chino. (Honeydeath, did I get that right?) They were the type of concert goer that really annoys me - take up positions right at the front and then proceed to be too cool for school by not appearing to enjoy the music. We were amazed that the guy actually tapped his foot to the music and nodded his head a couple of times. Shock! Horror! She lost her spot by going to the loo and then was miffed when the crowd wouldn't let her back in. Tough shit, sweetheart.

There were hugs at the end of the concert with the Cute Couple. They really were too cute.

Yesterday saw a really good, long catch up with Autumnheart and some other friends over Vietnamese. We were originally supposed to have had Yum Cha, but after waiting for over half an hour to be seated at a table we booked, we gave up and gave our money to another restaurant. And it was worth it. There was stacks of food - the serving portions were a lot bigger than they looked in the menu! I'll have to remember to go there again when I want Asian, but not necessarily Chinese.

Then there was coffee while discussing mortgages and then wondering when we got old and started to have hour long discussions about debt and housing markets rather than whatever it was we all talked about in our 20's. I can't believe I don't even remember what I used to talk about in my 20's...

Afterward, Autumnheart came back to mine to kill time before her flight back to BrisVegas. It was cool to sit and just chat HP, fandoms and the like with her again. She and BecBec are the only two people I know who understand and really know about that part of my life and, although I'm no longer a part of that culture, it's nice to chat about it with someone who gets it.

Then the next round of visitors came along. Quatrefoil popped in for tea sporting a lovely new jumper which suited her very well and then Baggy T had a couple of work chums over for dins. It was really fun.

And now I'm back at work, trying to think of work things when all I can do is think about my weekend and how wonderful it was. I was originally lamenting that all I wanted was a weekend in Hermitville, where I just sat on the couch, watched DVDs and ate (more) bad food after sleeping lots, but I'm glad I didn't. Reconnecting with friends, live gigs and happy chats with strangers made this weekend For The Win.

5 comments:

DV said...

Hurrrah for weekends of win!

Mayela said...

Sounds like a fabulous weekend! I sat on a plane or two, that was it. I too preferred the Verve. Maybe one day when I'm feeling rich I'll buy a bottle for us to share, hey my housemate does work in a bottle shop after all, cost price perhaps?

Ah, it's 12.30am I should go to bed. Glad TBE was so good, sad i couldn't go with yo... next time!

GB said...

DV - Woot!

KatieMay - My theory is that the Bollinger would siut a man's palate; it's not quite as smooth as the Verve and just a little bit more bitter. Maybe we could go halves in a bottle your flatmate could get for us at his staff discount to celebrate your return? You definitely have to come see TBE next time.

Wenchilada said...

Verve is quite lovely, yes, but I much prefer Mumm, not as bitter as Verve and has more flavour (yay for free flowing champagne brunches over here, I guess this place does have its perks).

Hunydd said...

Never had Verve or Bollinger - had Moet vintage once though. Completely different taste to Oz methode champenoise.

It's actually ecco, rather than echi. It's made by Nestle and is a coffee substitute made from malted barley, rye and chicory. I think it's lost most of what following it may have had (back in the 70s), but back then it would have been competing against International Roast, the Coffee of Quality, so it probably didn't make people intstantly think "yuck" like it will today (if anyone has even heard of it, that is...)