Monday, 6 July 2009

Exhaust-amed

Stormhold’s Baronial Changeover and Midwinter Coronation is finally over. The changeover was relatively painless – there was a lot less court than I was anticipating. There was a surprise Pelicaning (for both the crowd and the recipient) which was well deserved and I’m proud to say he was my friend before it all! The Coronation was... long. That’s not to say that there weren’t enjoyable parts and it would seem that their new Majesties are all for a quick Court is a good Court, however I was at the site for over 12 hours and I was kinda done before dinner was even finished.

There was much hilarity over some photos and I got to hang with my chums in and out of frocks so it was significantly more bearable.

Much to my utter delight, I got a lot of compliments on Bess’ dress, regardless that I wasn’t the only one wearing a version of the frock featured in the picture to the right. It was delightful because, my own vanity notwithstanding, I got to tell Bess all the wonderful things other people said about her dress. I think she was proud of her creation. And she should be. It’s a wonderful frock.

Photos will happen when I can get copies of them.

I leave you with a Psalm I read earlier this morning, apparently written by Pepperbeast. I’m sure you’ve all read it before, but since I’m all inspired to make me some more Elizabethan goodness (because I look so good in it apparently), I figure it’s appropriate here.

A Psalm of Historic Clothing

Historicity is my guide; I shall not guess.
It maketh me to measure accurately:
It leadeth me beside the primary sources.
It restoreth my wool:
It leadeth me in the paths of authenticity for its name's sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of synthetics,
I will take no messy shortcut: for thou art with me; thy books and thy artworks, they comfort me.
Thou preparest a cutting table before me in the presence of my snarkers:
Thou clothest my head with linen; my fabric box runneth over.
Surely style and fit shall follow me all the days of my life:
And I will dwell by the historically informed wardrobe forever.

3 comments:

Wenchilada said...

You do look fabulous in that frock! Saw some piccies over in facecrack. Very cute!

GB said...

Thanks!

There are pics? Why, oh why do people insist on only uploading pics on Stalkerbook/Facecrack?

Wenchilada said...

Beats me, but hey! You're looking good...