Wednesday, 15 July 2009

He was called Hades for a reason

For a long time now, I've referred to my cat as my 'furkid'. The reasons for that, said in a tongue-in-cheek manner, are I'm in my mid-thirties (as hard as that is to admit), single and under no illusions as to the role a pet plays in my life.

Well, it would appear I was actually being more truthful than I had originally thought.

The little beast got out on Monday night and after an initial fruitless search (with much appreciated help from Baggy T and Fz), I proceeded to have a bit of a breakdown. In the shower so no one could see my pathetic-ness, but it was still a breakdown. There were wracking sobs, so hard I was unable to stand. And I was this close to being physically ill.

There was no way I would have been able to rest knowing he was out in the streets with likely next to no street smarts, so went back out to look and walked both sides of the street before I found him. Six doors down from home. And he didn't want to go back. There was squirming and hissing.

How did he get out? He must have sneeked passed me when I left to help Quatrefoil move her 'fridge. That means he was out for about two and a half hours before I noticed he was gone for a total adventure time of about four and a half hours. Yes, I counted and I also counted the miraid ways in which he would be removed from my life forever. It wasn't pleasant.

So while I felt like someone had removed my heart a-la 'Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom', the little shit was having an adventure. Now he's home, I can be angry that I inadvertantly let him out, cranky at him because he knows he's not allowed out and disconcerted with myself for being so damn attached to a cat. A cat. Feelings are what they are, I suppose.

On a completely different note, I saw this just now and had to share.


A Serenity cake. How cool is that?

4 comments:

Mz. B.Trousers said...

We love the things that are ours. Doesn't matter what they are - the ownership is a part of it.
If it helps, I was sitting on my bed while you showered, feeling mighty unpleasant myself. And we hate each other. Go figure.

Hunydd said...

Take him for a walk on a string. That should provide sufficient punishment for him and amusement for you...

Megz said...

Well I'm not going to say just how attached I am to the various guinea pigs that have waddled through my life - or the complete meltdown I had after one particular one died. We humans have a complex relationship to anything that we are responsible for, and the more helpless the wackier the emotions.

Frankly I'd be more worried about you if you didn't care.

GB said...

Baggy T - You mean you and the cat, right? The hating each other part? :)

Hunydd - Oooh, I like that. I did buy a rabbit leash, when I lived next to the park to take him on walks that never eventuated. I'm pretty sure it's survived sundry purges...

Meggz - Thanks ma'am. It's nice to know I'm in good company.