Monday, 23 March 2009

Train Etiquette

I was hoping to ask some of you folk who have ever had to commute over a period of time what is the etiquette when you see the same people at the same train stations almost every day. Do you risk looking like a complete nutter and say 'Hi' or do you just pretend you've never noticed them before?

You see, there are a few individuals whom I see just about everyday on my way to work everymorning: there's Lady Leather Jacket (who wears a very 80's style black leather jacket), The Greywalker (wears grey every time I see him with his business shirt a different shade of grey than his pants), La Coq (kinda cute blond guy with a La Coq bag) and The Chubb Man (wears a Chubb security uniform).

Do I, at any point, actually make eye contact with these people and maybe, horror of horrors in my self-absorbed Sydney, smile and say 'Hi'?


I confess there's a part of me that wants to do it. I see these people almost every morning and it feels rude to not acknowledge in any way. By the same token, I have no idea who these people are so therefore don't feel like I should say anything.

Or am I just really overthinking this?

4 comments:

Mayela said...

Funny you should mention this, over the weekend I caught up with a friend who commutes ont he train from Seven Hills to Chatswood. She noticed a group of relatively lively people who always sat together and generally seemed a friendly group. After noticing them everyday for 2 weeks, she simply went up to the group and said 'So is this group invitation on or can anyone turn up?' and instantly friends were borne. The Train Buddy Group sit together everyday and while away the commute with light banter. At Christmas they even had a train Buddy's drink at the pub closest to their home station.

So I think you should just start saying 'Hi' to these people and see what happens. Especially the lady with the jacket, you can just say, "Hi! I love your jacket, I've noticed you wear it a lot" or something of the sort!

Mousicles said...

A smile and a greeting should be harmless enough and could build a friendship. I'm sure they know you by sight too.

Go for it.

Wenchilada said...

Yeah-yeah! Do it. Do eeeeeeeet!

You've managed to at least notice these people and that's a big deal in itself. Too many of us are self absorbed in our ritualistic commute. Garn...break the mould! Could be fun!

Tell us what happens!

GB said...

All right, you've all convinced me.

I'll warm up to it and let you know what happens.