I had so many observations over the weekend that I thought about blogging and just didn't get there. One thing that I have remembered I wanted to say though was how I very nearly laughed out loud on the train at a series of signs for the Sydney Festival.
On hot pink banners near Central, the festival organisers have called Sydney 'VivaCity'. I know, not funny in and of itself, but at the time I was reading the third book in a trilogy called The Parrish Pleisis Series. It's set in post-apocalyptic Australia. Think Cyberpunk meets Mad Max. The last book, Crash Deluxe, takes place in the 'have' area known as Viva City (as opposed to the 'have-not' area called Tertiary or The Tert to the locals). There is no such thing as a government. The Banks had long since lost their capitalist hold and now the Media (yes, those are captialised in the books) rules everything with an iron fist and corrupting caresses.
I could almost see an analogy.
Over the weekend, it was First Night at the Sydney Festival and I saw the Cat Empire (for free!) at the Domain. I am now converted.
Grace Jones was on the bill as well. Her concert, on the other hand... Well, let's just say I got what I paid for!
ETA: I very nearly forgot to give public kudos to dear KatieMay, who secured our spot front and (just right of) centre. Thank you!
2 comments:
Pretty swirlies!
So, we made the right decision in jumping the barriers during Mr Scruff. Excellent!
Post a Comment