
To set the scene: A busy Sydney lass has a rather nasty breakup with her current beau and leaves. In order to try to get her life back in order, she flies to NY and tries to make a go of it. What follows are the inevitable ups and downs of love and how she deals with each new challenge.
And my, oh my it was fantastic! For a musical that was written in the late 70's, it lent itself to modernisation very well. The Australian adaptations were seemless, as were the lead's many costume changes.
I laughed a lot, could sympathise well with the character and even cried a bit with the musical's title song. Jolene Anderson, from All Saints, was absolutely amazing and carried the show well. For a lass with no training in singing and performing a one-woman musical in which no lines were actually spoken by her (they were all sung), my hat goes off to her.
The set was simplistic and functional but still stylish in an industrial loft kind of way. By using pink and yellow lighting at points, it also felt rather girly. There were smart uses of plasma screens to indicate scene changes (like the transistion from Sydney to NY or LA, or even when she was walking on the street or in a park), the band were present on stage in a very cunning way and I adored the set fairy. She wore a tutu and killer heels.
It's a shame the run is only for two weeks, then it heads to Melbourne. If I had the money to go and see a non-preview show (the opening night is tonight) and go to Melbourne at the same time, I woud so be there!
In other news - Baggy Trousers and I have a house! Our offer was accepted! I've given notice to my agent and now it's full steam ahead to get new tenants signed on before I leave, officially on the 17th. The engines are running so hot, there will be an open house THIS Saturday.
I have to give my agent credit - he is really trying to get new tenants signed. I was worried he might be an arse about it and drag his heels. I'm glad I appear to have been wrong!
Ack! I have to clean the apartment. Crap! I have to pack. Again!
1 comment:
It was a lovely evening, great company, great songs and three cheers for tall brunettes with killer legs!
Hrothers
Post a Comment