Monday, 30 June 2008

Weekend In Review

Did you know that I looked like death warmed over on Friday? Neither did I until I was told it twice this morning by work collegues who all asked after my health considering I look soo much better than I did before the weekend. No wonder no one looked at me askance when I announced I was going home early. On a Friday. When the boss was away at a conference.

Once I got home, it was mindless television watching; my brain had shut itself down to concentrate on repairs and only essential systems were operating by this point. You know, respiration, DNA replication, mucus production, that kind of thing. So when I got the phone call from Miss Honeydeath saying that somehow she'd managed to book the matinee instead of the evening performance of Phantom, I didn't quite get why she sounded so upset. But, even from the depths of dispair she is a thoughtfull friend and she explained to me, in words of one syllable, that because she had stocktake for work, she couldn't go. No wonder she was devasted. And, we had to come up with someone who could take on the ticket at the eleventh hour or it would be a whole lot of money wasted.

After a system reboot (read: long, hot shower. Ok, long-ish. My hotwater system fits in a cupboard in the kitchen. Under the bench.), I attempted to reconfigure a solution. Still, no resolution presented itself. I had to resort to the tried and true method of finding a last minute companion. The mobile phone address book. Luckily, Miss S was one of the first on my list, and lo and behold, we had a sold ticket!

Fast forward to Saturday morning (trust me, you guys don't want to hear about how badly I slept last week. Between the wretched cat and bloody flu...) and Honeydeath's lovely husband, Rusty, popped by to deliver the tickets. While we were chatting about the state of the ecomony, the housing market and the mining boom over coffee, Miss H called. She had finished her stocktake. The funny thing is, I'm sure if we hadn't arranged for the for somone else to take the ticket, stocktake would have taken her all day. How ironical.

Miss S picked me up at about 1 (the show was at 2, and I don't live that far from town) and we spent the next 20min in classic Sydney traffic. We got to Star City in good order and had plenty of time to get to the theatre so Miss DV didn't feel like she had to virtually run on crutches she's not yet quite used to. One thing though - I'll never understand how individuals think that it's easy to navigate around people-traffic on crutches. Thankfully, DV's of the tenacious sort and made sure they went around her. It made me cranky for her sake. Bloody rude Sydney-ites. (We can be a pretty rude bunch. It's sad but true.)

The show itself was fantastic! Spectacular! "Music of the Night" was a tad more passionate than I think we were all used to hearing, less of the seduction, more of the emotion (Emo-Phantom, as Miss S so eloquently put it), but otherwise it was great! I want a frock with a HUGE arse. I want to be able to sing soprano. I want a sparkly frock coat. I want a masquerade ball. I want a monkey-playing-the-cymbols music box. I want Gerard Butler!

Ahem, sorry. Forgot about the fact that he was in the movie version of Phantom. I got a bit excited...

So, we came back, dropped off Miss DV who needed some succor (read: heavyweight, painkilling drugs) and a rest (read: zonk out after taking said drugs) and Miss S and I were off for a lovely dinner and catch up at some Italian cafe/restaurant in Burwood.

More catch ups over tea back at my place and we were becoming pumpkins by 9pm. It's official. I'm getting Old.

Sunday saw me feeling accomplished about just getting out of my pajamas. Oh, and I started the veil for my german outfit for Midwinter. You know, the event that is THIS Saturday. Ah, my ability for procrastination then outright panic just before the deadline astounds even me sometimes.

Two sleeps!

1 comment:

Wenchilada said...

Hope you're feeling better... yay for Phantom (not the purple one, though he is very sexy).