Friday, 16 May 2008

Eureka!

Last night, while watching Trinny and Susannah "Undress the Nation", I had an epiphany about the shopping habits of men and women.

It's a very rare specimen indeed, the man who can shop like a woman. Most men hate shopping, especially clothes shopping. They just want to walk into a shop, buy the wretched thing they need then get out again. Women, on the other hand, are more likely to browse, go in search of the thing that will make their wardrobe complete (this week) and maybe come away with half a dozen things they don't need and might never wear.

It all goes back to our primative roots, our crocodile brains, as it were. Men hunt, women gather. That was the way of it then and not a whole lot has changed. Look at the way a man shops anywhere other than Bunnings and it's "I need a shirt/razor/food. Here's a place where I can get said shirt/razor/wildebeast. Select shirt in my size/pick up first razor I find/kill wildebeast. Go home." Simple. They've hunted for the thing they need, taken it home and that's that.

Women, well, we know how we tend to shop, so I won't insult your intellegence by explaining it. We gather.

I'm suddenly filled with ideas on how to improve the merchantising of men's clothing sections in department stores. It would be so simple to help men dress better. Hang rules and guidelines, men don't want to hear them. There are ways... Let me at them, let me at them, I say!

2 comments:

Fiora said...

We taped the show and Im really looking forward to going home and watching it today.

I really like the girls style and they crack me up with how they go about it all but I really dont know if I could cope with them doing it to me.

Im going to go clothes shopping in Perth (have booked my flights hooray!!) but it has been so long since I have been shopping that I think I have forgotten how to do it. I dont think men alone need rules and guidelines I would be most happy to have some helpful rules (I would prefer you and Nadia hanging off me though) hehe

Come to think of it.....going shopping with you and Nadia is like going shopping with Trinny and Susannah lol

Fiora said...

To give you an update, I started the show, watched ten minutes then fell asleep so will have to schedule to watch it again. The G banger found it very interesting though :)