Friday, 27 April 2007

There is a god and his name is...

Dylan Moran. I think my face is still sore from laughing so hard. I think he'll be on my 'repeat watcher' list from now on.

Some pearls of wisdom on life according to My Lord God Dylan:

* Curry and seduction never occur on the same day
* Children only have two sleeping positions - the swastica and the crucifix
* People turn to Jesus because they've got no one else
* If it feels like you've shit yourself, then you have
* Australian place names were made up by drunk people.

There were so many other funny bits, most of which I cannot quote because it all blurs into a pile of laughing frenzy. I am now tempted to buy the DVD, any DVD with him on it. Whose 'Black Books' DVD's do I have by the way? DV? Wenchi?

Way back in the depths of time, I once wrote about costuming on this blog and indeed it was the reason I started it (well, the original HoC anyway). In the spirit of trying to bring some of that content back (and hey, if Honey Death can do it, so can I), here's the next frock.


It's by Clouet, around 1550. I've looked at other French portraits of the time and a lot of them are similar half-portraits, which is really unfair. What does the skirt look like, dammit? How rude of renaissance portrait artists to not think about us poor, suffering historical costumers. They should have done full length portraits, damn their eyes.

Anyway, I have loads of milk chocolate brown cotton velvet and I was thinking a nice gold (maybe with black shot if I can swing it) silk for the pretty bits and white silk for the sleeves. There's not a lot of astentation to this dress, which will make it a lot easier to have completed for Midwinter. I won't need a new chemise, I have a corset on loan (and a farthingale if I need it - thanks Spyd!), so the underpinings are sorted.

I think I may need a bit of help in some of the contruction, especially the puffy sleeves. I've had a suggestion of tulle, which would work, but isn't period. I'll see what the experts (read: laurels) say. I'll also need help with the hood, and no doubt fabric for same. I can sacrifice some of the pearls off my other french hood (which isn't that crash hot) so that will save some $$. Miss Krin, do you still have my hood, or have I put it somewhere 'safe'?

I was also thinking, if I have enough time, of making a jacket just in case I get too cold. I have no idea what sort of chest covering the French did at this time, as I have only found one partlety-type thing in the portraits (below, left), but there are examples of jackets being worn for this period... in Italy! Grr. There is a Clouet sketch of Catherine de Medici (below, right) in a coat from 1560. Can I justify it? Hmm, not sure.

Plans must be made and stuck to if I'm going to have this finished on time. Wish me luck.

6 comments:

Krin said...

It's a lovely frock, both Spyder and I have had it "reserved" at one point in time. But considering that neither of us have started on it then I think that it is all yours.

Have a chat with Meaghan about the skirts and hat. This is her area.

I still have your hood, tucked away safe in a box. Come over and have a cup of tea and collect it sometime.

DV said...

Helen is also a good one to chat to about frenchy pants stuff.

You will look gorgeous in it miss JD.

Mz. B.Trousers said...

If you ask laurels I think you want to ask, they willl say "tulle!"
Except this one. This one's crap. She'd say "they didn't have huge puffy sleeves 30 years ago in Swabia!"

Miss Jimmy said...

Hi mate - Re: the skirt, I have been researching french ren for about 10 years now and have made several from around this time period (and a bit later) . I am happy to have a chat whenever you want. It would definately be a farthingale (sorry!) and I would say most definately with an open skirt and a forepart. Shapewise they are pretty much exactly the same as an elizabethan skirt of this period. Have never seen a french jacket - I think if they got cold they wore a closed necked bodice gown (very common) instead! Just cause I haven't seen one doesnt mean they don't exist though. If they do I would say they would be more like a long coat (eg. elizabethan shape with less bling). Their partlets are generally very light. As I said, feel free to call for a chat.

GB said...

Miss Krin - yes, will have to come over for tea. I can pick up my hat then too!

DV - Thanks! I'm guessing by the lack of 'It's mine! Mine I tells ya!' that the Black Books DVD's are Wenchi's?

Baggy T - Swabia? Isn't that in Africa? hehe.

Miss Jimmy - Your're a reasure. Thanks for letting me know about the skirts. I'll definately be in contact to pick your brains about it soon.

Miss Jimmy said...

No worries! French rocks! xx