
In memorium of Mr Creosote, Jaws, Scoliosis Boy and the Albino. May your dreams come true for you and your fellow wild-types in zebrafish heaven. Know that you were loved and sacrificed in the name of science and the betterment of human kind. The visions of your aimless swimming around an empty tank will stay with me forever. May you rest in peace.
This has been a public announcement brought to you by The TongueInCheek Corporation. No animals were harmed during this announcement. They are already dead in accordance with Ethics proceedings. Disposal procedures were undertaken according to PC2 guidelines. In short, my fabulous little wild-type mutants were put to sleep, autoclaved at 121 degrees C and then thrown into the furnace. Poor little tykes.
6 comments:
I am curious to know exactly what experiment you are doing that requires autoclaved zebrafish!
:P
The facility was being shut down. The hopes were to create a working zebrafish model to look at the mechanisms of melanoma and it never really took off.
So, fishies destroyed and facility shut down. They're just keeping the water ticking over, cause it's a pain in the arse to get it stable after stopping the pump.
Ah - autoclaved for a good cause then. I'm taking a wild guess that you use zebrafish for the stripey skin? Easy comparison of the effects of extra pigmentation and all that?
I think I'm glad my test systems can be backed up to DVD and put aside when I don't need them anymor - much less traumatic!
Much less messy too. Apparently, during the euthenase process, one of the little buggers (I think there were over 100 in all) jumped out of the tank and was accicentally trodden on. At least it was quick, you could tell by the 'squelch' it made under the boss's shoe.
Yes, zebrafish have melanocytes wich gives them the stripey. There were supposed to be gentically modefied generations with genes bred out and so forth, but it didn't happen.
Well head of dept got his wish then. Poor JI all the work he put in. It's a bit sad. Didn't C do his PhD on them? heh. Oh well Science moves on...
C did most of his PhD in Melb, where they had already set up a working model.
Yes, the [dick]head finally got his wish. mumblemumblemumble.
Post a Comment