Thursday, 13 September 2012

I Finished A Thing

While not exactly ground breaking news, I have managed to finish a UFO that has been waiting for me for a couple of years now. (To the uninitiated, in this context UFO means Un-Finished Object.)


It's a version of an extant example from Scotland in the first half of the 17th century. So, just out of period, but considering it was found in the Highlands (or was it the Hebrides?) I think it is safe ti assume that it would have been worn in the SCA period.

As you can see, the tension isn't that great and it took me a little while to get the hang of knitting in the round. What took me so long to get it finished, though, was to work myself up to doing the stitch required to finish it off. Less than the work of an hour and I waited about three years. Sigh.

The green background is actually the sleeve I house my lappie in, but I thought it made for a pretty picture!

Special thanks to Dr Q for reintroducing me to knitting and being really patient with me. Her teaching skillz are teh awesome. And Reverend Richard for his tireless research into historical knitting.

2 comments:

Mz. B.Trousers said...

But what is it? A mobile phone sock from the 17th century?

GB said...

I'm such a dill! It's a purse.