Not a lot has been happening, quite frankly. The ever-present cycle of job applications and subsequent rejections are a constant source of battery to my self-esteem. The ever-constant worry over how much money we don't have is a constant source of worry. These, however, are outside factors. J and I are happy and weathering the stress of these outside factors very well. That's the main thing, I guess.
As a New Year's resolution of sorts, I've decided to try to eliminate harsh chemicals from my life. My mission statement of sorts is "If I can't eat it, then I won't use it!" To that end, earlier this week, I made two batches of soap. One was a bog-standard fat-lye-water mix the other was a bit more fancy with olive and coconut oils and a whole lot of lavender essential oil. They're curing on a rack even as I type. It's a little bit exciting! Yes, I understand that eating soap wouldn't be very appetising, but at least I know what's in it and I don't have to pause to pronounce any of it!
The top crumbly bits are straight animal fat, lye and water soap. Very period recipe for laundry or cleaning. The lower bars of soap are olive oil and coconut oil soap scented with lavender.
I have found homemade and natural recipes online for just about everything I currently use. This morning I tried a sour cream, honey and lemon juice face mask which felt a bit odd going on, made my skin sting a little in spots initially and when I rinsed it off, left what felt like a greasy residue. Twenty minutes after rinsing, though, and my skin feels fine, even bordering on dry. I may have to reduce the amount of lemon juice.
I suspect this blog will become more about natural products for the immediate future so I hope you enjoy the ride!
Below, though, are a few of the photos I've taken since my last post. In order they are tiny snow peas, the poinciana in our front yard and the jacarandas on the way to the dog park.
30/1/2012 - Edited to finally add the photos...
2 comments:
Soap! Awesome! I've been checking out some soap recipes and considering playing with them. Bit busy with the wine, mead, honey, and BBQ sauce productions at the moment though.
It is nice to see you pop up occasionally online. Been thinking about you and how you are. Shame things are low, but sounds like you are finding the good bits!
Hope things pick up.
Thanks ma'am!
I caught up on your blog just before I posted and you have been busy busy!
Soap is dead easy. Takes no time at all if you can sacrifice an electric beater to the cause. Otherwise, reching trace can take HOURS!
I'll post my recipes soon.
Post a Comment