Friday, 9 December 2011

Huh?

So on a whim this morning, I went looking for songs on iTunes from my 'auto-buy' music artists; The Butterfly Effect, The Snowdroppers, Thousand Needles in Red and Marian Call.

When I did the search for Ms Call, I found that her latest album is listed. Yay! Never mind the fact I ordered the CD from CD Baby, but I was happy that she would get exposure since iTunes, in theory, has a wider audience.


What is not so yay is the price of the digital copy of her album - AUD$32.11. AUD$32.11? How can iTunes justify that cost? The cost of the CD was US$20 with US$7.95 for delivery. Taking into account the exchange rate and any charges my bank will hit me with since I bought stuff in a foreign currency, I'm looking at no more than $29 for a real, honest to goodness hard copy of an album, all 19 songs, as a matter of fact. And I'm not mentioning that you can download the mp3 version of the album from CD Baby for $16. Oh, wait, yes I am.

How can anyone justify the cost of digial anything to be more than the cost of a hard copy of the same, especially when it can be downloaded legally at other sites for much less? Someone, please enlighten me with a reason beyond money gouging because I would really like to know.

2 comments:

Mz. B.Trousers said...

It's because iTunes wants to clear out your pockets before it sucks your soul dry.

GB said...

Sigh. I know. Takes you to the cleaners, sucks out every lasst drop of soul and leaves you a husk of a human who used to think for herself.

Tell me again why I have an iPod?