
In my mind before I moved here, Queensland has always been a backward place loaded with bogans and, while they are around and larger in number than I was used to in Sydney, a rather momentous decision has been made in the State Parliment today.
Taking effect from next year, Queensland will now recognise same sex civil unions. This makes me very happy.
What doesn't make me happy is the comments made by a spokesman for the state Liberal Party, Jarrod Bleiji, declaring that "Civil partnerships is not on a priority list in the minds of Queenslanders."
I'm pretty damn sure that having the same rights to marry whomever they chose as heterosexuals is actually a priority for gay couples in this state, not to mention the rest of the country. Stupid man.
Maybe not all of Queensland isn't as backward as I thought...
No comments:
Post a Comment