Today, I had an epiphany.
I have so many books on my To Be Read (TBR) pile, it's started to become a little unmanageable. That is, if I keep going the way I'm going, I'll need a second TBR shelf and that would not be a Good Thing. Sure, I currently read about three books every two weeks, but I'm also buying about six books in that timeframe, thereby increasing, rather than decreasing, the books on my shelf.
And then there is the breakfast chocolate. For the last few months, there has been a string of fundraising chocolate sitting in the tea room at work. For the meagre sum of $1.20, you can buy a chocolate that's moderately smaller than the average retail size all the while helping out a charity, local sports team or child care centre. Win-win for all except my waistline, which, oddly enough, has started to expand again.
So, I'm giving up buying books for a month. I'm also giving up buying fundraising chocolate. The chocolate, I can probably do ok. The books on the other hand... Wish me luck. I think I might need it.

On a different note, I haven't forgotten about posting my thoughts about reading material and habits and relationships. I just need to get my thoughts sorted before I put it all here. And I need the time to do it.
ETA: I no sooner uploaded this post and received an email from Infinitas informing me that a book I ordered last month has now come in. I have yet to pay for it. Sigh. I'll see if they can hold it for me until the month is over.
4 comments:
Your hip pocket will probably thank you the most!
Interesting, this is an example of an article I read yesterday:
http://www.thesimpledollar.com/2008/10/03/some-thoughts-on-the-fulfillment-curve/
Also, if you've not read Your Money or Your Life, then I highly recommend you pick up a copy.
(P.S. I am somewhat amused that the word I need to type in the verification field is phorkma. Sounds somewhat rude)
Way to go!
It really was a mind game, as well as a health and money improver. But both possible, and rewarding.
And I think that the book that you'd ordered doesn't count. You'd already ordered it, it was an expected expense!
KatieMay: Oh yeah. I didn't think about that!
K.: Thanks for the article. I've heard of 'Your Money Or Your Life' before, but not read it yet.
B.T.: The bookshop is letting me get it in a few weeks time, so I don't have to worry about it for the self-imposed embargo!
Post a Comment