Wednesday, 16 September 2009

Let's Hear It For The Man

There was a bit of discussion earlier this week about the 'bad boy' in fiction. Adele, over at Persnickety Snark, had a fabbo post on Bad Boys Making the YA World Go 'Round.

This got me thinking. And no, it didn't hurt, but it did make me realise that I've had a thing for the 'Alpha' male for a long time.

Those who know me at all would know that I once wanted to be She-ra, Princess of Power. What I usually don't admit to is having a bit of a crush on He-Man. Not Prince Adam, you understand - he was too whiny and a little bit icky, considering I wanted to be She-ra who was the alter ego of his twin sister Princess Adora. He-Man took charge, generally saved the day and didn't get a swelled head over his own awesomeness.

My 'type' just went on from there. Judd Nelson as John Bender in The Breakfast Club, Johnny Depp's Tom Hanson in 21 Jump Street, Dylan as played by Luke Perry in Beverly Hills, 90210, my first literary crush of Arutha from Raymond E. Feist's Magician, Sean Bean in anything, and more recently, John and Dean Winchester (Jefferey dean Morgan and Jensen Ackles) from Supernatural, Curran from the Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews, Chris Pine's James T. Kirk in the reimagined Star Trek and last, but by no means least, these three lovely chaps from the Hornblower series:


Ioan Gruffudd as Horatio Hornblower, Paul McGann as William Bush and Jaime Bamber as Archie Kennedy.


What about you guys? Have you a 'type'? Do you have literary or character crushes? Tell me your stories.

2 comments:

Mz. B.Trousers said...

Funny looking, or dead. My teenage bedroon pin-ups were Groucho Marx, John Lennon, Ringo Starr and David Byrne.
And Gillian Anderson.

GB said...

You're right, they are all pretty funny looking.

Except Gillian Anderson. I'd almost turn for her.