Tuesday, 2 June 2009

While away the time

Don't die of shock now. A second post in as many days doesn't make for a daily update but, as I mentioned before, I'm making the most of a lull at work right now. It will all swing up again next week (I'm crossing everything in the hopes that it won't be to the same extent as it was last month), so a-posting I will go and with much randomness while I wait for an experiment to finish.

Random Topic 1 - Music: I've had a bit of a thing for the music of Cold Chisel. While I would not consider them the bestest Oz band eva, I do enjoy what I've heard of theirs for the most part. I inadvertantly discovered an album on iTunes recently called "Standing on the Outside", which is a whole lot of Alternative Australian bands doing a cover of Chisel songs, Sarah Blasko doing "Flametrees" is probably the most popular. I had a listen to the samples. I fell in love. And then realised it's been at least four years since I last heard anything like a Chisel song and pined. Most of the songs from that album have been almost constantly played on my iPod, along with some country songs that I'm loving right now. Yes, you read right. Country songs. New country, not old country. There will not be any Hank Williams or standing by your man on my iPod thankyouverymuch (Don't get me started on Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers). I'm talking about songs like "I Wanna Do Bad things With You" (frawr), "Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy" (if you insist) and "Redneck Woman" (gigglesnort). Unashamedly country, really kinda funny, and not a dead dog, cheating significant other or lost job in sight!

Random Topic 2 - Fashion Police: Well, not really. For years, I've had a link to You Look Fab on my sidebar. Her advice is usually pretty sound and her tastes used to reflect my own when it came to what not to wear. The love is now gone, people. She started to lose me when she suggested that women's butt cleavage was a good thing. Then she announced she likes metallic shoes for daytime wear and that booties are cute, and not just for under trousers. Her latest fashion advice had me re-thinking our relationship and deciding it was over - she loves leggings. I'm crushed. I now have to find myself another fashion guru. I refuse to trust anyone who tells me that leggings can be worn casually or smartly and that all body types can wear them with success. I just can't.

Random Topic 3 - Hungry [insert body part here]: As most will attest, they have fallen victim to a hungry bum on occasion - you know those days when you've seriously depleted your underwear stores because you've not done any washing in a while and you've had to resort to wearing those pairs from the bottom of your undie drawer that have come a little loose in the leg. Those pairs that tend to...ride...up a bit. For some reason, and I don't know who told me this phrase because it's a great phrase and not something I'm clever enough to come up with myself, I've called it having a hungry bum for a while. Today, I have hungry shoes. As I'm walking, my socks (fashionable knee high to keep my legs warm under my jeans) keep sliding down and gather at the arch of my foot. Just like hungry bum, but it's my shoes. I'm not unfamiliar with socks that fall down, they do that when they're getting on a bit, but to gather in my shoes? It's rather annoying. How does one feed one's shoes to prevent this from happening?

Random Topic 4 - Author Love: I am devouring books by Patricia Briggs right now. She's done some straight fantasy in the past, but is branching into urban fantasy and has done a good job. I've not read any of her other stuff (and I'm not really interested in straight fantasy anymore) but if she keeps writing urban fantasy I'll keep buying her books. Two weeks ago, I started reading 'Moon Called'. I've since finished its sequel 'Blood Bound' and I'm off to Borders with my discount voucher tonight to try to find 'Iron Kissed', the third in the series. Love the main character. Love the men in her life. Love ancillary characters. Love the world they live in.

I think that's enough randomness for one day. I should find a pic for this post since you didn't get one yesterday. The pic I wanted for yesterday's post was on my home computer, not the work one, and I couldn't remember the name of the artist to find it again. Oh well.

Since it's a random post, how's this pic for random? This is Miss Krin and me at the British Raj party three years ago, way back before I cut my hair.



ETA: For Wenchi...

4 comments:

Wenchilada said...

And honey, don't be forgetting the timeless classic "I spent my last ten dollars on birth control and beer" (Two Nice Girls)

I admire you for coming out of the country closet. Good for you.

Hunydd said...

Bah. You haven't really experienced Cold Chisel unless you've sung Khe San at the top of your lungs, with a pint in one hand, pissed off your nut, in a Walkabout bar in London with four thousand other Aussies, also pissed off their nuts.

Brings a patirotic tear to ones eye it does!

GB said...

Wenchi: I totally forgot about that one. I'll go hang my head in shame... I did find it on YouTube, though!

Hunydd: I even feel patriotic just thinking about it!

Wenchilada said...

Hunydd, I will see your Walkabout bar in London and raise it with Austcham drinks in Beijing.