Tuesday, 8 August 2006

Literary Meme

I got this from the lovely DV's blog and thought it was good enough to share.

1. One book you have read more than once:

It's not a book, but a series. For those who know me the Harry Potter books would be the first thing that they would think of, but in actual fact it's the Deverry sequence by Katherine Kerr. I will never get sick of those books.

2. One book you would want on a desert island:
I only get one? Ok, how about "Escape From A Desert Island for Dummies"? No? Bum.

3. One book that made you laugh:
"A Girl's Guide to Vampires" by Katie McAllister. Laugh-out-loud funny.

4. One book that made you cry:
I have yet to read a book that was powerful enough to make me cry, but I did come close to it with "The Secret Life of Bees", the author of which escapes me.

5. One book you wish you had written:
Needless to say, Harry Potter. Not only are they great stories, but the money she's made from it all... Wow!

6. One book you wish had never been written:
Again, I have to pick just one? I read a book not that long ago that I thought was a great waste of trees, but I can't remember the title. Probably a coping mechanism.

7. One book you are currently reading:
"Fire Me Up" by Katie McAllister, which is the sequel to "You Slay Me". I'm also reading a series of essays about the Harry Potter series by Sci-fi fantasy authors and their take on aspects of the novels. It's very interesting.

8. One book you have been meaning to read:
Just about everything in the Penguin Classics range, except for "Pride and Prejudice" and "Huckleberry Finn" - I've already read those, repeatedly.

9. One Book That Changed Your Life
"Go Ask Alice" written anonymously about a teenage girl and her drug addiction. I read it when I was in High School and it really affected me. So did "Sometimes I don't like my Mother". I can't remember the author, but it helped me cope with the whole idea that there are times when you really can't stand your parents, but you can still love them.
Also, "Beauty" by Sheri S. Tepper. It was my introduction to the realm of fantasy fiction that I read voluntarily and I've never looked back. I have yet to re-read it though; I'm worried about whether I'll enjoy it just as much. I don't want to spoil my memories.

10. Now tag five people:
Nah, couldn't be arsed. Now if you asked me to list my 10 most favourite books, I will do that.
1. Harry Potter (blanket title since I like them all and it would take up too many of my list)
2. Deverry (as above, except there are 12 of the things so it goes beyond one list)
3. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
4. Wizards First Rule by Terry Goodkind (stop after this one or go on to read the sequel if you have to but don't read anymore than that, I beg you!)
5. The Battleaxe Trilogy by Sara Douglass
6. Girl's Guide To Vampires and just about everything else I've read of Katie McAllister's
7. Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
8. Secret Life of Bees
9. Five Quaters of the Orange by Joanne Harris
10. The Domesday Book by Connie Willis

5 comments:

DV said...

Is the Katie McAllister stuff kind of funny vampire rom com kinda stuff (I'm very literate this morning) in which case, can i borrow?

Fiora said...

Do Mills & Boons books count??? Cos I know a really good one about a cowboy with a past.......riding bulls hehe

GB said...

DV: She's a different author (I think the one you're thinking of is Mary Janice Davidson, and I have a couple of hers as well. You can borrow them all if you like.
Fiora: I guess Mills and Boon books count. Technically they fall under the umbrella of books, and at least you've read something!

Krin said...

"2. One book you would want on a desert island:
I only get one? Ok, how about "Escape From A Desert Island for Dummies"? No? Bum."

made me giggle.

Also I remember reading Beauty by Sheri S. Tepper and enjoying it. Some of her other stuff is spooky though (I think)

thefrockchick said...

I bought a copy of Beauty many years ago now and loved it on my first reading but hated it on my second then came to peace with it on the third.

I do understand how ou feel. I watched Nausicaa when I was a child and loved it, now I'm worried about buying it in case it's not what I remember.