Thursday, 28 October 2010

A Judgment of 'Alpha' by Rachel Vincent.

Dear Ms. Vincent,

Upon the completion of your novel Alpha at 1.43am on the 26th October, 2010, you are hereby charged with the responsibility of causing the following of the reader:
  • Gut-wrenching sobs.
  • More gut-wrenching sobs.
  • Sad, bitter tears.
  • Consternation leading to anger.
  • Excessive cheering.
  • Particular disdain bordering on hatred.
  • Frustration over the political games that had to be played.
  • Sympathy for the protagonist having to choose.
  • Pride and respect for another character's journey, even if I was sure another character would win out.
  • Respect for a character for standing up for themselves.
  • Respect and admiration for the protagonist for not falling down into a blubbering heap with all the pressure she was put under.
  • Respect for you as an author for torturing your characters and your readers so.
For these crimes against peaceful reading, I hereby sentence you to the very short list of Authors Who Rock. Other authors similarly sentenced are Raymond E. Fiest and J.K. Rowling.

As penance, I hereby beseech you to pen your next adult series while the reader re-starts the Shifters series from scratch.

Regards,
GB, aforementioned reader.

3 comments:

Hunydd said...

Really? She must have gotten a lot better, because I thought the Shifters series sucked arse. Faythe is probably my least favourite character ever - she is so unbelievably self-indulgent and self-involved.

I'm glad you liked it, but... eugh... Not for me, thanks.

GB said...

The series got sooo much better from the third book onwards.

In short, she grew up.

GB said...

Oh, I forgot to point out that it was the sixth and final book in the series.