Thursday, 21 January 2010

Anti-Valentine's Day


According to the advertising, tourism, retail and hospitality industries the day for which there is no actual holiday but you're supposed to spend up BIG on your loved one(s) is fast approaching.

Soon it shall be Valentine's Day and how we're all eagerly awaiting what new crap we're expected to buy our lover(s) just to show we give a damn*. Assuming you have a lover(s), that is.

For those of us whom have not met anyone to fulfill our exacting standards, this can sometimes be a time of morose feelings. Thoughts of inadequacy can be debilitating, dear readers, and now more than ever do some of us need a little pick-me-up.

Last year, I bought myself a Valentine's present. There's nothing wrong with loving oneself, after all, and it's a rather liberating experience. Expectations are only limited to what you want and what you can afford. If you don't get something, it's because you haven't bought it, not perceived feeling of being unloved.



So, to all of my friends, single or otherwise - you have my permission to go out and get yourself something nice for Valentine's Day. You're wonderful and beautiful people and you deserve a little something just for you.

Or, you could come out to the Vanguard with me and KatieMay to see The Snowdroppers and their Anti-Valentine's show.

(*Note: I personally believe we should do any and/or all of this at any point during the year, not just on one day. A simple 'I love you' or hug goes a long way, though.)

1 comment:

Mz. B.Trousers said...

I'm going to celebrate chinese new year. Cupid can go hang - I want tigers!