Thursday, 28 May 2009

Done and Dusted

I managed to get all the work done I needed to and all before my self-imposed deadline. You see, for all the work I had to do, I was told I had to have it done by June. So, I told myself I needed to have it all done by the end of this week, since next week is June. (Dear Lord, hasn't this year flown?) What I didn't realise was by 'June' my supervisor meant 'sometime in June' which roughly translates to mid- to late-June. So, I've been busting a gut to get through a PCR optimisation (which can take up to a month if you're really unlucky. I got through mine in just over a week.), utilise the optimised protocols for 90 samples (the work of about two to three days lab time) then send off the PCR products to QLD for sequencing AND check DNA sequences for mutations on about 1700 samples (I had already done about 600 of the wretched things). All of that in less than four weeks. And I did.

I had a victory chocolate yesterday afternoon to celebrate. Cadbury's Curly Wurly. Nomnom.

It's looking like, for the next week at least, I have a bit of breathing room at work which means I'll have the time to post a little more often. For those whom I have ignored over the last few weeks, you have my sincerest apologies (Mum, Bliss, Sara, and others, I'm looking at you!) and I'm going to try to catch up with emails etc in the next few days.

And just 'cause I'm still a wee bit fangirly, I'll leave you with more JA. Excuse me while I quietly drool in the corner...

No comments: