Monday, 6 April 2009

Overwhelmed

For all you TBE fans, I'm not talking about the song from their debut album, Begins Here, either.

I'm talking about work. There's the co-segregation stuff that popped up last week; data is starting to come in for the microsatellite project that may score me my very first, first-author paper; continued data from the MC1R screen and I need to develop protocols for whole genome amplification. Phew! In short, this is quite a lot more than I'm used to having to think about at work and it's incredibly daunting.

And I'm loving it.

God, I'm a nerd.


Dr. Cornelia Clapp, teaching a biology class at Syracruse University, circa 1890's.


ETA: I just found this. Automated science. A robot came up with a hypothesis, executed the necessary experiments and made conclusions on the data. If they ever get around to making a robot in human shape do this, it will only be a matter of time before WE ALL DIE! Quick, someone call John Connor!

3 comments:

Megz said...

yay you!

p.s. awesome pic. I love stuff about early women scientists, doctors, etc

GB said...

Yeah, me too. Pretty much any woman who pioneers ways for those of us that have followed. I love their stories. They make out lives look easy!

Apparently, the first and second PhDs awarded to a woman in the US were earned by Cornelia Clapp, one in 1885 and the second in 1896, both in Biology. After 15 years of deliberation, she was awarded a Professor-ship in 1906.

Wenchilada said...

Wow... goodluck with it all!

Cornelia Clapp - fantastic name! Though, she sounds like she should have been a Sister of Perpetual Indulgence or something equally as camp...