I could be reading work papers to wait out the 30min or so before my turn at the equipment in the lab, but I'd rather post here about a wonderful book I'm reading at the moment.
Better Single Than Sorry, by Jennifer Schefft, touts itself as the 'smart girl's guide to being single and fabulous' and basically it reiterates everything I've said about remaining on my own - being single isn't the end of the world.
As women, we're taught by society that other people's wants and needs come before ours. Relationships are suppsed to make us happy, not us being there to make them happy and the frogs don't always become the prince. This book is not about how to get a man. It's about having the faith in yourself to not keep the first guy that comes along, even if he doesn't quite fit you. The 'frog' as it were.
I'm not about to lower my standards just so I'm not 'on my own'. I'm not on my own. I have fabulous friends whom I like and who actually like me in turn. I go out. I do 'stuff'. Sure, sometimes it can be hard not having the companionship that comes from keeping a chap, but if I feel lonely, I am blessed with a large circle of chums whom I can call on to keep those lonely blues away.
One of the chapters has a listing of 50 reasons why it's great to be single, a list that was compiled by the author after talking with both married and unmarried women. I've listed a few below with the corresponding number as they appear in the book. Additions in brackets [] are my own.
1. You're responsible only for yourself. [It's a heedy feeling]
3. You shave your legs only when you feel like it. [Amen!]
9. You have the whole bed to yourself. [Starfish!]
15. You can date lots of men, so you never get bored with just one.
16. 'Going out' clothes actually have a purpose. [Thankfully]
21. The feeling of independence.
22. No checking in.
30. No stinky guy smells. [Eww]
31. Chick flicks on Sunday afternoons. [Wanna make it a thing?]
33. You can stay in your pajamas all day and no one cares. [Hooray for pajama days!]
36. No one around to comment on the number of beauty products or shoes you own.
38. You can turn up your cheesy pop music and dance in front of the mirror and no one will walk in and make fun of you. [Shh.]
44. The decor in your place reflects your taste.
49. You can change your hair and not have to consult anyone. [Not that I've done that, no!]
After I'm done, it will do the rounds. Loads of my friends (and not just the singles) have expresed an interest in reading it, so I'm going to put in it a ledger of sorts, so everyone can write there name in it and date it once they've read it. Kinda like a library book!
2 comments:
Yeah, I get your schtick. Really, I do.
But, I actually quite like being married. With a kid.
It's not all that bad.
I know it's not. It wouldn't be, with the right person.
He just hasn't found me yet. The frogs aren't worth my time, is all. :D
Post a Comment