After eating a mandarin this morning, I was reminded of how, as a child, I thought that if I ate a fruit seed, that fruit would grow in my tummy. I discussed this with G, and she blames parents (she had the same thoughts growing up too). By her reckoning, it's parents warning you not to eat the seeds and, in a fit of trying to protect their children from heinous thoughts of death from choking on said seeds, tell them that they'll have fruit trees bursting from their guts. Hm. Yes, very healthy alternative to the truth.
Anyway, my theory is that's it's due to a nursery rhyme I was taught as a kid. I don't think it would be taught in schools anymore because of it's dark nature and as we all know, nursery rhymes and fairy tales are all very saccharine these days courtesy of Disney, rather than the fearfull lessons they were originally.
Right, enough of that rant. The rhyme is "There was an old woman".
3 comments:
Oh my goodness! That book there, I have the very same copy here. It was mine when I was little and I've passed it on to Miss P!
That aside. Pers eats mandarins pips and all. I am waiting for a mandarin tree to sprout out her left nostril anytime now.
It wasnt my parents who scared me with that one it was actually my horrible brother who very in depth taught me about growing watermelons in my stomach if I ate the seeds - thats right you are a legend Senior P.
And well you all know my love for nature so you could imagine how that nursery rhyme was one of myyyy favourites haha
I grew up knowing that that copy of the book, which is why I picked it. There's a modern copy, available through Amazon I think, but it just didn't look right!
I had visions of green stuff sprouting out of Miss P's nose... HA!
Older brothers are horrible, aren't they?
Post a Comment