Tuesday, 22 May 2007

Um, about that French Frock...

...which is now in the 'to make' basket for Rowany 25, maybe (I have volunteered to hang out with all the cool kids in the kitchen). I wanna make it, I really do, but I had an epiphany last week - I'm just not going to have the time to make it right, let alone finish it for Midwinter. I'm a little disappointed, but I'm not going to waste all that silk on a failed project. So, onto another dress that won't take me as long, hopefully, but I'll still end up with something nice and not have people think "No wonder Mina is being elevated first!"

The dress will be along the lines of the lovely Saint Katherine, today wearing a lovely brocaded low-necked number in gold.


It's not the best version of the painting on the planet, but it's the only one I have at work. The plan is to make it out of green wool from stash that's so dark it's almost black. Miss Honeydeath had kindly offered some gold dupion for the guards around the neck and wrists and I'll need to buy some gold bling to fancy it up a bit, but I think I'll need more so I can put guards on the skirt. That may have to come later. I don't know.

The sleeves will be different, though. They'll look more like this Catherine in the fancy pants gold dress.

For the hat, I'll just make a swanky veil by sewing some ribbon in stripes onto a plain white background. I want to use silk for this, but the only nice ribbon I'll be able to buy for the look I want will be polyester organza gift wrapping ribbon. From K-Mart. Hmm. I suppose if it gives me the look I want, I shouldn't be such a fiber snob! I'm going to utilise some silk organza I have for a over-veil thing that I'll make long to flow over my shoulder, like this fabbo number that's on the 'Want to make' list:

Since Miss Droopy Drawers and I are making the same dress (not by design, I assure you!) I figure with me making mine out of wool, she's making hers out of brocade and if I add the veil thingie, we'll be dissimilar enough to not look like the Bopsie Twins.

I haven't even considered neck bling yet. Sigh. I'll get there, I hope!

Fiora - sorry to not be able to catch you lately. We'll catch up eventually! As for progress photos...um, let's just say I really have to stop putting my camera into Tyg's basket for safe keeping. I'll get it back eventually, but I at least know where it is!

Miss Jimmy - yes, horray for French Frocks! I will make it. One day it will be mine... :D

4 comments:

Mz. B.Trousers said...

Teehee!
I think the dark green will look really nice in this style. And they will look very different.
I still haven't decided what to wear on my head - I'd like to wear the pointy hat, but i need a Cranachy-style to do under it.
Pout.
Let's sew together!

GB said...

Yes, let's!
Saturday, are you free? Hang on, I'm a dill. Why don't I just call you?
JD, you are far, far too dependent on technology...

Miss Jimmy said...

Welcome to my world! The french frocks are so lovely you want want want one - except that they are also huge and unfinishable-in-any-seemingly-reasonable-amount-of-time and thus doomed to be unfinished or unmade. The german is swanky. You will look lovely in it! And one day you and I will both have lovely french frocks together....

thefrockchick said...

Hooray! I am logged in!

Ehem.

No worries they are going to take one look at my frock and realise they made a huge mistake as I am clearly over qualified in the Maaaaad department.

If I spot some nice organza type ribbon stuff or what could be torned into stripes I'll let you know. I'm slack at posting things but...